The mission of the Bachelor of Art in Fashion Design is to train students in critical and creative thinking through visual communication in fashion design illustrations, studio, and patternmaking, and to expand student awareness of research, history, trends, concepts, and marketing in fashion design.
Lebanon has already established itself in the international fashion design industry; as a result, there is vast potential for a thriving local market in need of competent fashion designers. Graduates will be able to produce traditional as well as innovative and contemporary design concepts suitable for the national, regional, and international market. This program combines advanced design concepts supported by current technology to produce creative and original individual prototypes for haute couture or industrial production.
Program Educational Objectives
The BA in Fashion Design offered at the Ramez G. Chagoury, Faculty of Architecture, Arts and Design (FAAD) aims at:
- 1.Providing the learner with the exposure to reflective approaches to design and critical and creative thinking.
- 2.Developing the intellectual and theoretical backgrounds through study of history, trends, concepts, and marketing in fashion design.
- 3.Develop the technical skills in professional fashion design, such as patternmaking, visual communication, and analysis.
Program Learning Outcomes
Fashion Design graduates will:
- 1.Develop visual communication skills, such as professional illustrations and technical drawings.
- 2.Practice critical and creative thinking in fashion design.
- 3.Relate history and cultural knowledge to fashion design, and communicate the ways fashion reflects cultural, political, and humanistic issues.
- 4.Relate silhouettes, color, fabric, details, and styling to the design concept.
- 5.Propose appropriate marketing plans guided by research, market trends, and marketing concepts.
In addition to the University admission requirements, prospective candidates must complete all English remedial courses if any, during their first year at Notre Dame University-Louaize. Students who fail to meet the above requirements will not be allowed to proceed to the degree courses in Fashion Design and other majors of the Ramez G. Chagoury, Faculty of Architecture, Arts and Design. All first-year applicants must complete the Admission Requirements.
To receive the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Design, a student must complete a total of 102 credits with an overall GPA of at least 2.0/4.0. All major courses with a grade of less than “C-” must be repeated.
Students interested in pursuing entrepreneurship and cultivating their business ideas are encouraged to enroll in the following course as a free elective: ENT 302 Entrepreneurship: Launching New Ventures.
For those aspiring to pursue an MBA, it is recommended to select two courses from the following list as free electives: MGT 620, MGT 630, MRK 620, PRM 625, PRM 635, or PRM 645. It's important to note that these chosen courses will contribute towards fulfilling the requirements for obtaining the MBA degree.
Fashion design graduates will be prepared to pursue careers in the fashion industry as creators of new collections, textile designers, managers, journalists, patternmakers, and in various sectors of fashion commerce.