Photography stands as the predominant medium across all creative disciplines, spanning from fine arts and design to multimedia, both in artistic and commercial realms. It has consistently demonstrated its prowess in conveying diverse messages through an innovative and demanding process.
Within the Design Department, photography is approached as a multidisciplinary medium dedicated to research and experimentation. The Photography program fosters exploration and the cultivation of individual styles through a project-based approach that places a premium on initiative, research, and analytical thinking.
The BA in Photography presents students with a unique opportunity to master photography in conjunction with animation, multimedia, video production, and related fields. Students are encouraged to blend traditional and contemporary techniques to produce a wide array of visuals, encompassing both still and moving images, as well as integrating text when appropriate.
Upon graduation, our students will have honed their skills across all facets of the photography industry, equipping them to embark on promising careers in their chosen areas of interest.
Program Educational Objectives
The main objectives of a Major in Photography offered at the Ramez G. Chagoury, Faculty of Architecture, Arts and Design (FAAD) are to:
- 1.Familiarize students with the different genres of photography, its history and its contemporary form.
- 2.Equip students with the necessary skills, knowledge, and ethical dispositions to excel in the photographic industry.
- 3.Prepare professionals who will be capable of working in the fields of visual communications.
- 4.Raise students’ awareness to the multidisciplinary aspect of the photograph and its various forms of publication.
Program Learning Outcomes
Photography graduates will:
- 1.Demonstrate fundamental understanding of the critical theory, historical and contemporary practice of art and photography.
- 2.Produce a high quality, technically relevant, coherent body of work to a professional standard in any chosen area of photography.
- 3.Communicate various concepts proficiently and contextualize creative work in the contemporary culture.
- 4.Effectively adapt multimedia, design, and branding techniques in creative photographic projects.
- 5.Adopt a moral and ethical approach to the use of photography.
In addition to the University admission requirements, prospective candidates must complete all remedial courses, Math and/or English, if any, during their first year at Notre Dame University-Louaize. Students who fail to meet the above requirements will not be allowed to proceed to the degree courses in Architecture and other majors of the Ramez G. Chagoury, Faculty of Architecture, Arts and Design. All first-year applicants must complete the Admission Requirements.
Students graduating in Photography will have the opportunity to work as freelancers, covering the creative and artistic needs of the market, such as advertising, editorial, fashion, and documentary. They can also work as creative directors, image consultants, and photojournalists. In parallel to their commercial work, graduates will be capable of setting up their own exhibitions and publishing their work.
Students interested in pursuing entrepreneurship and cultivating their business ideas are encouraged to enroll in the following course as a free elective: ENT 302 Entrepreneurship: Launching New Ventures.
For those aspiring to pursue an MBA, it is recommended to select two courses from the following list as free electives: MGT 620, MGT 630, MRK 620, PRM 625, PRM 635, or PRM 645. It's important to note that these chosen courses will contribute towards fulfilling the requirements for obtaining the MBA degree.