The mission of the Journalism program is to equip students to pursue careers as reporters in diverse print and media platforms. Students will enhance their journalistic skills through a range of public relations courses designed to expand their communication abilities and enhance their career prospects in a variety of organizational and professional contexts. In this program, students will have the opportunity to practice and refine their writing, reporting, and other journalistic skills.
Program Educational Objectives
The program will prepare students to:
- 1.Lead a productive career in journalism, public relations, and electronic media.
- 2.Employ the journalistic and communication skills acquired in the form of print, broadcast, and digital media in both English and Arabic.
- 3.Apply strong professional competence to serve in journalistic tasks, in the press, radio, television and net media.
- 4.Act ethically as media professionals.
- 5.Pursue graduate studies in journalism, public relations and electronic media research.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation, students should be able to:
- 1.Identify the theoretical and conceptual foundations of the field of journalism and the manner through which such foundations are applied to practice in the field.
- 2.Illustrate ideas, thoughts, news, reports, and other journalistic work in clear, correct, vivid, accurate, and meaningful language.
- 3.Categorize information and gathered material by providing meaning to them and explaining their relevance and consequences to the recipients.
- 4.Become lifelong learners in the field.
- 5.Demonstrate genuine creativity in writing and reporting styles.
- 6.Acquire and practice written and oral communication skills for print, broadcast and online media.
- 7.Critically analyze and interpret journalistic situations encountered during their daily work.
Once admitted to the program, students are required to develop competence in both Arabic and English. Additionally, they must complete an internship at one of the media outlets in the Lebanese market. Students pursuing this major must earn a total of 102 credit hours with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.03/4.0 in their major requirements. These 102 credits are divided as follows: