The mission of the Business Computing (BC) program is to educate students in the principles and practices of computing with focus on business knowledge and applications. The program prepares students for careers and graduate studies in Business or IT-related fields.
Program Educational Objectives
- 1.To provide BC graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to be effective professional contributors or leaders in the design, administration, and management of information technology systems and databases.
- 2.To prepare BC graduates for professional careers in roles including but not limited to: project managers, systems analysts, applications developers, webmasters, database administration, and quality assurance.
- 3.To provide BC graduates with the communication and interpersonal skills to become effective team-oriented problem-solvers as well as effective communicators with non-technical stakeholders.
- 4.To provide BC graduates with the knowledge and skills to conduct advanced studies and research in software applications, information storage and retrieval, data mining, business administration, and management.
- 5.To prepare BC graduates to identify and analyze legal, ethical, and social concerns associated with the computing and business fields.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation, students will be able to:
- 1.Demonstrate a good practical background in computing, mathematics, and statistics with a focus on business knowledge and applications.
- 2.Demonstrate proficiency in the principles of the software development lifecycle, using a range of problem-solving, programming, and software engineering techniques.
- 3.Demonstrate proficiency in the design and development of web applications.
- 4.Demonstrate programming competence using a modern programming language.
- 5.Demonstrate good knowledge of computer networking concepts.
- 6.Demonstrate a good practical background in accounting and economics.
- 7.Demonstrate good analysis, design, and implementation skills of information systems.
- 8.Demonstrate proficiency in database management system and show experience creating database solutions.
- 9.Recognize the need for, and demonstrate an ability to engage in, continuing professional development.
- 10.Communicate effectively with a range of audiences and to function effectively on multidisciplinary teams to accomplish a common goal.
- 11.Demonstrate their understanding of professional, ethical, legal, and security issues and responsibilities.
- 12.Apply for graduate programs in Business or IT-related fields.