About NDU | Offices | Offices | Office of Student Affairs | Department of Academic Advising | FAQs about the LAS | NDU

FAQs about the LAS

What support is available?

Since its creation, the LAS has received many students with a diverse array of special educational needs ranging. Cases range from Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Learning Disorders like Dyslexia; Psychological Disorders like Anxiety, Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD); physical impairments like motor disabilities, hearing and/or visual impairment; medical conditions like epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. Most students have a clear diagnosis of their condition and are followed-up by professionals. Students who do not have a complete file are referred to specific professionals off-campus (depending on their case) in order to properly determine their condition.

How do I get support?

Students are welcome to approach the LAS themselves, or can be referred by their instructors, parents, or the Office of Admissions. An LAS Officer, trained by SKILD, then meets with students individually to discuss their case. Students will be considered eligible for receiving learning accommodations after presenting clear documentation of their condition.

Once a student has been deemed eligible and after attaining the student’s consent, the LAS Officer then consults with the professionals treating the student to understand how to best proceed with their case. Based on the information provided, the Officer then provides a letter detailing the student’s specific learning accommodations according to their needs. The Dean of Students approves and signs the letter before it is passed on to the student and their instructors.

Finally, the LAS Officer schedules a meeting with instructors to provide recommendations and guidance on how to apply the accommodations. Follow-up meetings are set with the student and their instructors to evaluate their progress, working with the Dean of Students to provide personalized support for each and every students’ case. “We do our best to ensure that each student is properly catered to,” said Dr. Charbel Zgheib, Associate Professor and current Dean of Students. “Each case, like every student is unique and requires a personalized approach we are more than happy to provide.”

As of Fall 2020, the LAS has provided support for over 40 number of students, but is always looking to expand and help further. Students with any of the previously mentioned conditions that is affecting their academic progress – Psychological Disorders, physical impairments, ADHD, Learning Disorders or medical conditions – are invited to contact the LAS and see what kind of support is available for their specific case. No matter their personal challenges, NDU remains a place for all students and will always strive to meet their needs.


Who can apply for LAS?

The LAS is facilitating learning accommodations for students with a documented case of:

  • Physical impairment (hearing, visual or motor);
  • Learning disorder (dyslexia or other);
  • ADHD;
  • Psychological disorder (anxiety, depression etc.);
  • A medical condition.

How to apply for LAS?

All students with a special case must request a meeting from the LAS in the beginning of each academic year. This process is required on a yearly basis, even for previously enrolled LA students. They can contact the LAS via the following email: las@ndu.edu.lb


When should I inform the LAS about my need for accommodations?

Students should notify the LAS of their registration in the beginning of each semester (Fall, Spring and Summer) to continue receiving learning accommodations.

Does having a case automatically qualify me for LAS?

No, having a case does not mean a student is eligible to receive learning accommodations.

Their case must be documented by reliable references and must have a clear impact on academic progress.

When necessary, students may also be asked to maintain follow-up with a professional (depending on their case) in order to receive learning accommodations.

What do I do if an instructor is not applying my learning accommodations?

The student must inform the LAS as soon as they have an issue with their accommodations. Late notice and informing the LAS before an exam/deadline will not be processed on time.


What are my responsibilities after I am approved for learning accommodations?

  • The student must maintain frequent follow-up with the learning accommodation officer. He/She must also notify them with any updates related to their case.
  • Students receiving learning accommodation are not entitled to any special treatment and are responsible for completing all course requirements.
  • Students who abuse their learning accommodations or are taking advantage of the situation will be automatically disqualified from receiving further support.

I am still having difficulties despite my learning accommodations, what should I do?

If a student is still struggling, they must inform the LAS in order to determine if they need to:

  • Apply for tutoring at the Office of Academic Advising;
  • Consult with the University Counselor at the Office of Student Affairs (SAO);
  • Consult with a recommended professional (therapist or any required specialist) outside of NDU;
  • Revisit the load of registered course.


Related news

You have been successfully subscribed to our mailing list