The Minor in Sociology consists of 15 credits. To pursue a minor in this field, students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0/4.0. Subject to approval by the RCPS Department Chair, students may apply up to 6 credits from previously completed LAC courses to meet the requirements of this minor. Minors must be declared at least one year before the expected graduation date.
Program Educational Objectives
The program will prepare students to:
- 1.Understand and appreciate the kinds of questions sociologists ask
and the kinds of explanations they offer;
- 2.Become familiar with some of the major issues, problems, and findings in sociology;
- 3.Apply interpretative and critical skills needed for the sound study of sociological phenomena;
- 4.Improve their cognitive and communication skills, exercises, and regular assignments intended to enhance students’ abilities to read, analyze, discuss, and write skillfully;
- 5.Approach challenges faced by groups with a sociological perspective, through research, need assessment, and design and application of training programs, such as team building, group dynamics, conflict resolution, etc.; and
- 6.Develop inter-personal relational skills.