The NDU minor in sociology is comprised of 15 credits. Any student may elect to get a minor in this area provided that he/she is in good academic standing, i.e. securing a minimum GPA of 2.0/4. A student selecting this minor may only count up to six credits which he/she may have taken from the list of required courses for this “Minor” in Sociology. Minors must be declared at least one year before expected graduation date.
Objectives and Outcomes
- 1.To develop an understanding and an appreciation in students for the kinds of questions sociologists ask and the kind of explanations they offer;
- 2.To familiarize students with some of the major issues, problems, and findings in sociology;
- 3.To introduce students to interpretative and critical skills needed for the sound study of sociological phenomena;
- 4.To improve cognitive and communication skills; exercises and regular assignments are intended to enhance students’ abilities to read, analyze, discuss, and write skillfully;
- 5.To approach challenges faced by groups with a sociological perspective, through research, need assessment, design and application of training programs, like team building, group dynamics, conflict resolution, etc