The Minor in Philosophy consists of 18 credits. Any student can choose to pursue a minor in this field as long as they are in good academic standing, which means maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.0/4.0. With the approval of the RCPS Department Chair, students selecting this minor can only apply a maximum of 6 credits from the list of required courses for the Minor in Philosophy. Minors must be declared at least one year before the expected graduation date.
Program Educational Objectives
- 1.Understand the human quest for truth, and the different ways humans have engaged in this quest;
- 2.Show how philosophy is the foundation of human quest for knowledge and truth, whether theoretical or practical;
- 3.Gain familiarity with the world’s major philosophical traditions;
- 4.Develop the ability to assess arguments using logic, critical thinking, and argumentative methods;
- 5.Gain knowledge of various philosophical and cultural traditions;
- 6.Enable students to express philosophical ideas through both written and oral forms;
- 7.Encourage students to respect -and interact with diversity for it is the only proper attitude leading to a genuine dialogue; and
- 8.Guide students toward developing.