Money, Banking Law, and Islamic Finance - LAW 450
The course examines the following topics:
• Explanation of banking regulations: Regulations of the Central Bank, commercial banks, and the financial and depository institutions;
• Explanation bank transactions and money market operations;
• Description of the different payment systems;
• Explanation of the securities regulation:
- To reduce the level of risk to which bank creditors are exposed (i.e. to protect depositors);
- To reduce the risk of disruption, resulting from adverse trading conditions for banks causing multiple or major bank failures; and
- To reduce the risk of banks being used for criminal purposes, e.g. laundering the proceeds of crime and especially laundering money.
• Explanation of the bank regulators supervision, examination, and enforcement tools;
• An Explanation of the banking secrecy laws in Lebanon and abroad; and
• Explanation of the Islamic banking system (or Shari’a compliant finance): Principles, advisory councils and consultants, financial accounting standard, Islamic financial transactions.
Language of Instruction: English (legal terms, however, are also given in Arabic and French).