About NDU | Offices | Offices | Office of the Registrar | Graduate Academic Rules and Regulations | NDU
Find your interest


Students enrolled at NDU may take courses at other recognized institutions of higher education.

A student registered at NDU may be permitted to cross-register if:
1. He/She expects to graduate at the end of that particular semester and the said course is
    not offered at NDU but is a graduation requirement.
2. The course to be taken carries the same content as that offered at NDU.
3. The student’s academic advisor sends a written statement to the NDU Admissions and
    Registrar’s Offices who in turn contact their counterparts of the university concerned
    to confirm the above-mentioned conditions.


Students enrolled at other recognized institutions of higher education may take courses at NDU.

Students studying at other universities and who wish to take courses at NDU must secure
the following to facilitate cross-registration:
1. Written permission by the academic advisor to take specified courses at NDU (if any
    of the above mentioned conditions apply to the incoming student).
2. The permission of the Faculty concerned at NDU.
3. The above documents are submitted to the NDU Admissions and Registrar’s Offices
    by their counterparts.
4. Finalize registration according to cross-registration procedures at NDU.
Provided that they have satisfied the admission requirements, candidates that are interested
in auditing graduate courses will be issued letters of acceptance as auditors.

To meet graduation requirements, students may take courses on a tutorial basis.
Registration for a tutorial course can only happen after the consent of the concerned
professor and the approval of the respective faculty.

Course/Program Changes
Any change from one graduate degree to another requires students to reapply and meet the
admission requirements of the requested graduate program. Required courses may be
substituted upon the recommendation of the student’s graduate advisor and the approval of
the respective Faculty. A maximum of 9 substitute credits will be considered.
Upon admission, students will be assigned an academic advisor who will guide and assist
the student in planning a course of study. When applicable, a thesis advisor will be
assigned. After consultation with the Faculty Dean, every Faculty will set its own
guidelines for thesis defense. Candidates are required to give a public presentation.
Thereafter, the Thesis Committee will notify the Dean and schedule the final defense.
Courses and Grades

Courses taken as part of a student’s graduate study program fall in one of two categories,
graduate or remedial, with different grading systems.


Graduate Level Courses

These are normally numbered 600 and above. The minimum passing grade for a graduate
course is “B”. Students in graduate study are required to maintain a cumulative average of
at least “B” in all courses taken for graduate credit. According to the NDU Attendance
Policy, a student who is absent without excuse from more than one third of the number of
sessions in any one course, or who fails to sit for scheduled examinations, or fails to fulfill
required written or oral work, will be given F. Results of tutorial courses, projects, or
these will be reported as Pass “P” or Fail “F”.



Remedial Courses

These are usually undergraduate courses, taken to make up for any particular deficiencies.
They do not carry graduate credit. The minimum passing grade for a remedial course is B;
however, a department or program may set a higher minimum passing grade
Probation and Dismissal
Graduate students may be placed on academic probation after completing 12 credits in the
graduate program, if they:
1. Fail any course in the graduate program.
2. Do not maintain a cumulative average of “B”.
   A graduate student on probation should register for a minimum of 6 credits the following

The student is dismissed from the graduate program if:
1. The probation status is not removed within a period of two consecutive semesters.
2. The department or program, and irrespective of the grades obtained, deems student’s
   work as unsatisfactory.
3. The student fails the comprehensive examination twice, or fails the thesis defense twice.
Comprehensive Examination
Where applicable, a student must pass a comprehensive examination after completion of
most of the course requirements for the degree. The department concerned will schedule
the examination. The purpose of the examination is to ascertain the student’s knowledge of
the field of specialization and related areas. A student who does not pass the
comprehensive examination may repeat it only once after a time lapse of at least three
months but only with the approval of the concerned graduate committee.

In partial fulfillment of the requirements for the master’s degree, a student must submit a
thesis, when applicable, based on results of original and independent research. Except in
departments or programs in which the medium of instruction is not English, the thesis must
be in English. The Department concerned must ensure the availability of a copy of the Thesis Manual,
which provides instructions on the preparation of theses. Its application is mandatory and
theses not conforming to its requirements will not be accepted. For all matters not
discussed in the manual, theses must follow the form and style described in the latest
edition of K. L. Turabian, Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses and Dissertations
(University of Chicago Press), or any other form specified by the department or program
provided this conforms to the manual.
Copies of the thesis, unbound but ready for binding, should be submitted to the members of
the thesis committee at least two weeks before the defense. Copies may be obtained by any
legible and durable form of reproduction. Additional copies may be required, as specified
by the concerned department or program.
Academic Standards
Continuation in the graduate programs requires satisfactory progress toward a graduate
degree. Evidence of such progress includes maintaining a 3.0/4.0 cumulative average
throughout the course of graduate study. Furthermore, in order to graduate, a student must
have at least a 3.0/4.0 cumulative GPA.
Failure to obtain a GPA of 3.0/4.0 for the first twelve credit hours will result in notification
of probationary status. Any student who did not remove his/her probation in two
semesters will be suspended from the University.

Withdrawal Policies

Leave of Absence

Graduate students may request a leave of absence from a program through written appeal
to their advisors. The advisor will forward the request along with a recommendation to the
Dean of the Faculty who will answer on behalf of the University. A student who does not
register for courses for more than one calendar year must reapply for admission to the
University and to the graduate degree program.



Withdrawal from Courses

After the date of dropping and/or adding courses, students are allowed until the end of the
14th week as of the beginning of a semester to withdraw from courses. “W” will be
inscribed on their records. No withdrawal is allowed beyond this period.
Withdrawal must be made by the deadline set for dropping a course. Late withdrawal may
be accepted only in case of illness or circumstances beyond control.
Application for Graduation
Students who expect to graduate must complete and submit the Application for Graduation
to the Registrar’s Office. Degrees earned during any semester or summer will be awarded
only at the following commencement exercises. Commencement is held once a year.
Graduate Registration

Registration Process

A registration guide is distributed to every graduate student before the period assigned for
registration. Students are advised to read the registration guide and this section of the
catalog carefully. Registration involves the following steps:



Payment of Fees

The first step in registration is the payment of fees. Every registrant must pay the fees in
full, or make arrangement for payment two weeks before the beginning of registration.
Regardless of the manner of payment, every student must clear his/her registration with the
Business Office. Outstanding balances must be settled in full before a student is allowed to
register. Those who fail to honor the terms of the arrangement of payment of fees will be
denied the privilege of future arrangements.



Consultation with Academic Advisors

Each student is assigned an academic advisor. With a proposed semester course schedule,
the student proceeds to his/her advisor for consultation and the finalization of the selected
courses. Students should consult with their academic advisors in the places assigned them
for registration. The selection of courses is initially undertaken by the registrant
himself/herself. Registration in absentia or by proxy is not permitted. Continuing students
should check the course requirements as prescribed for every major, and compare them
with the ones they have already completed. In the light of this comparison, they should
check the course offerings for the given semester and then fill in their semester course
schedules. New students must make sure that all required documents, particularly those
mentioned in the letter of admission, are submitted to the Registrar's Office. They should
also have in hand their letters of admission and identity cards or passports to present them
to their advisors. Students should follow the steps indicated in the registration guide.

Course Load
A full-time graduate student must register for nine credits per semester. Students registered
for less than nine credits per semester are considered part-time graduate students. Graduate
students cannot register for more than six credits in the Summer session.

Grades Upon Change of Major
Upon approval of change of major, all grades on transferable or non-transferable courses taken by a student in his/her old major/area of concentration remain part of his/her official transcripts. Unlike the transferable grades, the non-transferable ones are not computed in the student’s GPA for the new major and are not counted toward the total number of credits required for graduation for the new major. A student cannot ask for a non-transferable course to be computed back in his/her GPA.
The students who benefited from the above rule (#1) cannot return to their old major, and cannot request to have their major changed again to any major which requires a non-transferable course grade, which was deleted from his/her GPA.

Students may register for courses on an auditing basis. Courses in which a student is so
enrolled carry no credit but are listed in the student’s transcript as audit. The fee charged
by the University shall be 75% of the fee paid by regular students. Student auditors should
fulfill the same admission conditions as any other regular student.

Disclosure of Students' Records
The University does not disclose information and academic records of any student except
with his/her prior consent. Exceptions to this principle are made only in compliance with
judicial orders and health or safety emergency.
You have been successfully subscribed to our mailing list